Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cataloging Memories


We only have just over 10 months remaining up here in the Great Northwest and I keep catching myself making mental notes of things I want to remember from this time in my life. I had one of those moments today as I was driving back home after a therapy session. The weather was beautiful - a perfect 70 degrees at 5:00 in the evening. The sun was out, the skies were blue with only a few patches of clouds. I was listening to Rosie Thomas, whose lyrics seem to be written onto my heart now, as I was feeling the kind of inner and relational connectedness and contentment that seems to often follow therapy sessions. It's the equivalent to the afterglow that follows the intimacy of love-making. As I drove the stretch of I-5 from Greenlake to Downtown in the middle of rush hour I welcomed the slowness of the pace so that I could simply take in the sight of the city from that vantage point. It's my favorite stretch along I-5 and it's even more beautiful when it's all lit up at night. You can see Lake Union on both sides of the highway and the space needle sits perched in such a way that it looks larger than it actually is in comparison to the ski-scrapers of this city I've grown to love. It was a moment of fullness and of presence that I don't ever want to forget.

No comments: